What is DOOR's Discover program?
- An exploration of the intersection of faith and service
- A mission trip program
- A service-learning experience
- An opportunity to learn from local leaders and churches
- All of the above!
Through DOOR's Discover program, groups spend time serving with a variety of local agencies and ministries and learning through evening speakers and activities. The experience is about more than preparing a meal at a soup kitchen or playing with children at a day camp. It is an opportunity to work alongside local community members, to learn from local leaders, and to listen to the stories of neighbors, clients, and churches.
The people and stories may challenge your initial perceptions of the city. But they reveal the ways that God is working. They will help you to see the face of God in the city.
Discover programming is available at all of our locations.
A Discover Week Includes:
Weeks also include:
- Lodging at a local church
- Guided large and small group reflection time
- Summer support staff (available seasonally) to help lead service groups around the city, serve with your group, and help lead evening programming and reflection
Cost: starting at $300/person*
Public transportation availablity and costs vary by city. Using public transit is optional.
Extra nights (lodging only) may be available ($750/group OR $25/person, whichever is greater). DOOR hosts groups at local churches. Like all churches, sometimes DOOR's host churches need to use their buildings for last-minute services (ex. memorial service, wedding, funeral, vigil, etc.). These events may limit DOOR's ability to honor extra night requests.
A Discover Weekend Includes:
Weekends also include:
- Lodging at a local church
- Guided reflection time
Public transportation costs vary by city. Using public transit is optional.
Payment & Communication Schedule
All payments go towards the overall balance. Payment due dates are included with registration confirmation and group contract.
Week long groups
Submit registration & initial deposit of $75 per person. Receive registration confirmation, payment schedule, and group contract.
March 1 (summer groups) or 10 weeks before trip (all other groups): Pay second nonrefundable deposit of $100 per person and return signed group contract. Receive payment confirmation, trip information packet, and participant forms.
3 weeks before trip: pay final balance. Receive payment confirmation.
- Submit registration and deposit of $25 per person. Receive registration confirmation, payment schedule, group contract, trip information packet, and participant forms.
- 3 weeks before trip: pay final balance and return signed group contract. Receive payment confirmation.
Group size: week long- 6 to 70 participants
weekend- 6 to 45 participants
Some cities can take larger groups. Contact the national office with inquiries.
Participant age: 13 and older
Not all of our service sites can accept volunteers younger than 13. If you would like to include youth under 13 in your group, please contact DOOR first. We want to make sure all participants have a full experience!
DOOR offers Discover programming all year. Please contact the national office for current availability for all locations. In general we do not offer weekend programming in the summer, though sometimes we are able to make exceptions.
In the event that a Discover group needs to cancel, DOOR has the following policy:
Week long program:
- If a group cancels after their initial $75 per person deposit, the funds may be applied in their entirety to a future trip this year or next.
- If a group cancels after their second payment of $100 per person, the initial deposit amount can be applied to a future trip as stated above. The second payment is nonrefundable, as stated in the registration information, confirmation materials, group contract, and deposit confirmation page.
- If a group cancels after they have paid in full, the final balance is also nonrefundable due to the proximity between the time the group cancelled and the scheduled trip. The initial deposit may be applied as stated above.
- If a group cancels after their initial $25 per person deposit, the funds may be applied in their entirety to a future trip within the next 12 months.
- If a group cancels after their final payment is due (3 weeks prior to arrival), the initial deposit amount can be applied to a future trip as stated above. The remaining balance is nonrefundable, as stated in the registration information, confirmation materials, and group contract. This remaining balance helps us to cover commitments made to agencies and speakers and staff planning time.
For all participants:
DOOR is self-funded through participant fees. Participant fees cover group meals, speaker stipends, scheduling, support staff costs, and city director’s salaries. When DOOR schedules a Discover group, we make arrangements with local organizations where participants will volunteer. The organizations are counting on participants to come. When a group cancels, especially after a second or final payment, it affects many agencies with which DOOR works, limits DOOR’s ability to register replacement groups, and disrupts all aspects of scheduling.